Concrete finishers pour, level, and smooth concrete for surfaces such as roads, curbs, floors, and sidewalks. Duties may include cutting expansion joints with a power saw, aligning forms to desired depth and pitch, directing the casting of concrete, preparing and cleaning surface areas, and completing moldings using a variety of hand-held and power tools.
Concrete Finisher Responsibilities:
- Setting forms that hold the concrete in place.
- Cleaning and inspecting surfaces for pouring issues.
- Directing the casting of the concrete with the truck driver.
- Pouring, smoothing, and leveling concrete using a rake, trowel, float, and screed. This includes handheld tools and power tool versions.
- Monitoring the effects of the weather on the curing process.
- Applying sealing and hardening components.
- Safely operating power vibrator to ensure the concrete is compacted.
- Molding and constructing expansion joints using joiners and edging tools.
- Polishing surface using a power surfacing machine.
Concrete Finisher Requirements:
- High school diploma.
- Minimum 2 years work experience as a concrete laborer or mason.
- Ability to stand for long periods.
- Ability to lift heavy materials and work long hours.
- Ability to kneel for long periods.
- Knowledge of hand-held and power tools including power vibrators, polishers, cutting saws, and edging tools.
- Able to work shifts, at night and on public holidays as required.